- To provide a national coordinating role for traffic safety issues;
- To promote cooperation, communication and coordination among the police community and national partners;
- To promote sharing among police in research, training and policy standards;
- To develop, strengthen and maintain national partnerships;
- To maximize the resources of police and partners towards safer roads;
- To support community based service delivery by providing timely risk management information and best practices warehousing.
Significant Accomplishments 2016/2017:
- Committee participated in:
- Anne McLellan’s consultations on the legalization of marijuana
- A Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs – Consultation on Bill S-230 Use of Oral Fluid Devices
- Vulnerable Road Users Countermeasures Project
- Global Status Report on Road Safety
- Numerous media Interviews focusing on the legalization of marijuana
- Numerous and ongoing conference calls on the legalization of marijuana
- Drugs and Driving Symposium at the Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto
- Meetings of the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators
- Organized, promoted, delivered and captured all statistics for the National Traffic Safety Initiatives "Canada Road Safety Week" and "Operation Impact".
- Encouraged submission of nominations for the national Lifetime Achievement Award and the National Police Award for Traffic Safety
Initiatives Planned 2017/2018:
- Continue dialogue with all stakeholders on vulnerable road users, autonomous vehicles, Drug Recognition Experts (DRE), and the pending legalization of marijuana to ensure road safety concerns are addressed
- Continue delivery of Canada Road Safety Week and Operation Impact
- Promote information sharing, research, training and policy standards with police agencies across Canada and
maintain and strengthen partnerships with CCMTA, CCSA, MADD, TIRF, and the CCSO Working Group.
- Provide maintenance and input into the Traffic Safety Programs Catalogue.
- Support and judge awards for contributions to traffic safety.