Supporting police professionals through innovative and inclusive police leadership to advance the safety and security of all Canadians.
A leader in police excellence.
Courage | Integrity | Respect | Transparency | Inclusiveness | Excellence | Compassion
Our mission and vision are achieved through:
- Our people:
- We believe in the professionalization of policing in Canada.
- We support today’s police professionals and help develop the police leaders of the future.
- We broaden the body of professional knowledge in support of the development of progressive, community-oriented leaders at all levels.
- We believe in policing in partnership with the community.
- We collaborate with public safety professionals and community partners to promote engagement and inclusion.
- We believe in advancing our profession and to promoting trust and legitimacy in our police services.
- We are the recognized voice of police leaders in Canada both nationally and internationally.
- We counsel and work with government agencies to advance legislation, regulations and policies that support crime prevention, facilitate effective investigations, solve problems, and support a victim-centered and trauma-informed approach.
- We believe in evidence-based policing.
- We support research initiatives as well as innovative strategies and practices to ensure sustainability, best practices, and the responsible management of public resources.
2021-2023 STRATEGIC POLICING PRIORITIES
- Policing with Indigenous Peoples
- Mental health: Employee wellness and police interactions with people in crisis
- Public perception, confidence and trust in policing
- Electronic Crime
- Guns, gangs and organized crime
- Road Safety
- Equity, diversity and inclusion
- Innovation / Future of policing
- Public and mass transit across the country (as a means to help prevent terrorism)
- Public Safety Broadband
- Next Generation 911
- Justice Reform
- 5G Technology
- Sexual Assault Investigations
- Use of Force
- Canadian Community Safety Information Management Strategy (CCSIMS)
Key Sectors of Activity
To achieve its objectives and to advance the strategic policing priorities, the CACP provides products and services focused on:
- Governance: Conduct strategic business and financial planning in support of ethical decision-making and service delivery
- Leadership Development: Deliver continuous professional learning conferences, workshops, webinars, and resources to develop new competencies and capacity
- Thought Leadership: Develop policy positions, practice guidelines, strategies, and frameworks to develop consistent approaches and procedures to address strategic policing issues/priorities
- Advocacy: Provide a consistent voice for the police community through government relations to influence various levels of government and departmental ministries with legislative and executive responsibility in law and policing
- Research: Create, share and use research to inform and support evidence-based leadership and policing.
- Public Education: Conduct public relations and outreach initiatives to encourage and facilitate community-based policing as well as positively influence public perception and trust in policing
- Partnerships: Collaborate with professional and community partners as well as academia to expand the association’s capacity to promote and address strategic policing issues/priorities
- Communications: Provide members with relevant, timely and accurate information about the activities of their professional association as well as key developments and trends in the policing sector
- Recognition: Acknowledge the efforts and accomplishments of Canadian law enforcement and public safety professionals who have exhibited excellence, innovation and initiative as they exercised their policing duties