Policing with First Nations, Metis and Inuit Peoples Committee
The mandate of the Policing with First Nations, Métis and Inuit Peoples Committee is to consider matters relating to sustainable policing services and enhanced public safety for Canadian indigenous peoples and their communities.
Sustainability for policing with First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples.
Crime prevention, reduction, detection and investigation of all matters that specifically affect First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities.
Build and sustain respectful partnerships, addressing social welfare issues to enhance First Nations, Métis and Inuit policing.
Significant Accomplishments 2015/2016:
- Hosted Moving Forward Safer Futures Conference
- Examined national best practices for protest management
- Made presentations for the MMIW Inquiry.
- Conducted review of research conducted in Edmonton with the city’s Indigenous population
Initiatives Planned 2016/2017:
- Continued and ongoing engagement related to the MMIW Inquiry
- Improved police recruiting and hiring in Indigenous communities
- Roll out best practices on protest management nationally
- Pursue increased sustainable engagement.