Promote safer and healthier communities through proactive leadership by addressing and influencing prevention, enforcement, harm reduction and treatment of substance abuse.
- Education/Prevention: Develop clear and consistent communication about the harmful effects of drugs.
- Drug-Endangered Children: Advocate for federally legislated additional penalty when endangering children in the commission of the substantive offence.
- Synthetic Drugs: Under development.
- Cannabis: Provide expert advice and guidance on the legalization of cannabis.
- Opioid Crisis: Work with stakeholders to identify new evidence-informed strategies.
Significant Accomplishments 2017-2018
- Delivered presentations to House of Commons and Senate Standing Committees on CACP positions on cannabis.
- Provided CACP with policy considerations for police members/safety sensitive positions on consuming cannabis.
- Participated in the development of training materials for front-line officers, conducted media interviews on behalf of the CACP and worked with Drug Free Kids Canada to endorse and deliver public safety messages.
- Presented at several conferences on behalf of the CACP including, “Pillars of Change - Priorities for Addressing the Opioid Crisis” put on by Health Canada and the US Consulate.
- Made a presentation to the CACP Board of Directors to stand up a Special Purpose Committee to develop a position on the decriminalization of drugs. DAC is represented on this committee.
- Advocated for changes to the Canada Post Corporation Act (CACP Resolution) and to federal pill press legislation.
- Developed information brief for the CACP on supervised consumption sites and pill press legislation.
- Worked with Health Canada on Bill C-37 on changes such as expedited destruction of drug exhibits, the Good Samaritan Law.
Initiatives Planned for 2019
- Support the implementation of legalized cannabis by addressing identified issues, continuing to work as subject matter experts for the CACP, and develop public messaging regarding legalized cannabis and public safety.
- Advocate for change on the Canada Post Corporation Act, based on the corresponding CACP resolution.
- Co-chair the CACP Special Purpose Committee and prepare a position paper for the CACP Board of Directors on the police position on decriminalization models.
- Research key issues around the increase in methamphetamine in eastern provinces, identify gaps and develop resolution(s) to address illicit labs and organized crime involvement in meth production.