Influence and advance airport safety and aviation security through collaborative efforts.
Link to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police priorities and initiatives to:
- address threats to airport safety and aviation security,
- strengthen coordination, collaboration and integration among airport safety and aviation security, and
- address the criminal exploitation of the vulnerabilities in the aviation transportation system.
Significant Accomplishments 2017-2018
- Conducted a review of the membership and meeting structure to ensure efficiency and appropriate exchange of information, including operational strategies. The Committee was divided into police specific and police/partner specific aviation security issues.
- Explored best practice (standardization) of staffing, funding and policing for class one airports to keep air travel safe.
- Successfully lobbied the Canadian Air Transportation Security Authority (CATSA) to terminate the reporting of passengers possessing prescribed medical marijuana and passengers carrying “credit card knives” as criminally prohibited items, freeing up police resources who had been responding to hundreds of calls for these items across the country.
- Continued to liaise with Transport Canada on security/safety matters pertaining to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s aka drones) and laser pointer strikes on aircraft.
- Examined legalization of marijuana and its impact on national and international travel, and how to handle requests for disposing of marijuana.
Initiatives Planned for 2019
- Committee will review and rework the current mandate to develop a go forward strategy.