Operation Impact 2018
October 5 – 8, 2018
Operation Impact is a public awareness and data collection campaign set to take place over the Thanksgiving weekend, from October 5th - 8th, 2018. This year's theme is Drive to Save Lives and will once again focus on education and enforcement of impaired driving, occupant restraint use, aggressive driving and distracted driving; the main causes of death and injury on Canadian roadways. A toolkit has been produced for all policing partners across the country to help promote events being planned in their respective region, to respond to inquiries, and to generate media interest.
- The media advisory template is to be used to invite journalists to attend an event you are planning.
- The news release is to be used to provide the media with an explanation about Operation Impact and what, if anything, your agency is doing during this campaign.
- These sample documents were written to be generic enough to be used by any police service. You are invited to personalize it to reflect your agency’s logo and promote your local initiatives during the campaign.
- We suggest that these media relations documents be produced on your own police agency letterhead.
- The key messages document is to be used to respond to media inquiries.
- The English and French posters have been sent electronically to all police agencies in Canada for use as part of the campaign.
- Please post these posters in an area that is visible to your officers as well as members of the public or feature the poster on your website.
- This document provides national facts and statistics about the most significant traffic safety issues:
- impaired driving, seat belt and child restraint use, aggressive driving and distracted driving.
- We suggest that you produce a fact sheet with local statistics to emphasize the importance of traffic safety in your specific community.
- Use this campaign hashtag #OperationImpact2018
- Three campaign banners have been created: English, French and bilingual. Use these on your social media accounts or on your website to promote the campaign.
- We have produced some proposed tweets that you are invited to use and personalize in Toolkit – Operation Impact support of the campaign.